Bronchitis is a condition of the respiratory system. it occurs mostly during cold weather both in old people and children. Bronchitis may be acute or chronic, but chronic Bronchitis is usually observed in male. Now let us defined Bronchitis, enough of the story.
Bronchitis can be simply be defined as the inflammation of the mucus membrane of the bronchial tubes.
What are the CAUSES of Bronchitis
- It is mainly caused by bacteria e.g Streptococci, Haemophilus influenzae, Pneumococci
- Exposure or Inhalation of irritants like smoke, dust, cigarettes smoke
- It can be a complication of measles, whooping cough, and other respiratory tracts infections
- It can be due to hereditary
- It can be due to exposure to wet, cold and damp air.
- Exposure to wet, cold and damp air
Signs and symptoms of Bronchitis
- Difficulty in breathing also known as Dyspnoe
- Initially there will be dry cough which will later become loose
- General Malaise
- Tightness or soreness in the chest
- Wheezing respiration
- Pyrexia also known as fever
Recently we talked about Cardiac arrest: Its Definition, Causes, Risk factors, Complications, Treatment, Diagnosis, Signs and symptoms
What are the Diagnosis
- Chest X-ray
- Sputum test in order to know the bacteria involved or what causes it.
How can Bronchitis be prevented
- By encouraging the person involved against smoking
- The Individual should avoid irritants like smoke, dust, cigarettes smoke etc.
- By treating respiratory tracts infections such as tuberculosis adequately
Drugs that can be used.
Well it is better to go to the nearest well facilitated medical health center to receive treatment but I will mention some likely drugs that can be used.
- Broncho-dilators such as ventolin can be used
- Antibiotics such as Ampicillin or Ampiclox may be given depending on the bacteria involved.
- Analgesics such as Panadol may be used
- Expectorant such as Benylin may be used